06 October 2006

From Ron - One Year!

Sorry I didn't get to post this a couple of days ago on the actually anniversary of the start of the voyage. Tom and Amy have sent me their coordinates all year long so that I can maintain the maps in the blog. That information also allowed me to compute, with reasonable accuracy, the distance travelled.

Between the Presidio Yatch Club in Marin to Musket Cove in Fiji, I compute that the Sandpiper has covered 8142 nautical miles. That is 9370 statute miles. To put it into perspective, that is like driving two laps around the lower 48-states.

But... they have only travelled 63 degrees west of San Francisco, which is about 1/6 of the way around the world (360 degrees). They have, however, travelled 55 degrees south of San Francisco, which is about 1/3 of the distance between the north and south poles.

If you have Google Earth, you can take a quick "flying" tour of the voyage so far. It is really cool to do this. Follow these instructions:

  • Click HERE to get the Sandpiper's GE file, which should start Google Earth on your PC.
  • On the menu bar, click TOOLS > OPTIONS...
  • Click the "Touring" tab
  • Under "Driving Directions Tour Options", set the "Camera Tilt Angle" to 45.0
  • Set the "Camera Range" to 500 meters
  • Click "OK"
  • On the menu bar, click TOOLS > Play Tour
Google Earth should then zoom over to the Presidio Yacht Club, then fly to each point on the voyage, pause, then fly to the next point. Let me know if you have any problems.

Ron

1 comment:

Ron Larson said...

I received this nice note from Amy's mother....

Hey Ron: Just wanted to take this opportunity to "Thank You" for your work this past year as Editor in Chief of the Sandpiper blog. I check in on the "kids" every day and look forward to your comments just as much as their reports. I always learn something from you. You truly have done a wonderful job keeping the Sandpiper groupies updated and informed. So here's my request; please post my comments on the blog so that the Sandpiper followers will see that you are being thanked for a great year of work, a true labor of love. Your dedication and input is greatly appreciated by all. Take a bow Ron, and enjoy the well deserved applause!

Have a great trip while sailing with Team Sandpiper. We'll look forward to your reports. (Please give my daughter a kiss and hug for me!)

With fond regards,
Pat - "Mom Sherman"